Data of transport roads are used to determine total length of transport roads: length of state roads and local government roads, length of local government streets, length of railway lines, and other indicators.
Concepts and definitions
Road is a route (driving road) for public use, which is mainly used by vehicles when moving on a stabilized base, but not by tracks or runways. Includes hard covering and other stabilized base roads, for example, gravel roads. Roads also include streets, bridges, tunnels, pier structures, connecting points, crossings and junctions. Also includes toll roads. Does not include separate cycle paths.
Length of railway lines
Includes the length of lines between the stations.
Tracks running alongside one another within the given line length are counted as one.
There are broad gauge railway lines (track width 1.52 m) and narrow gauge lines (0.75 m).
Total length of tram and trolley bus lines
Length of main pipeline
Main pipelines in general are long pipes of a large diameter, where products (oil, gas,) are supplied to cities, countries and even continents. These transport networks include several compressor stations, which are located in gas lines or pump stations, and which are related to raw or diverse product pipelines. Includes branch lines if they correspond to requirements of transport pipelines, as well as pipelines which connect land with drilling platforms in the sea.
Does not include pipelines total length of which is less than 50 km or inner diameter of which is less than 15 centimetres, as well as lines used only for military needs or which in all length are located in the territory of industrial activity, as well as pipelines located only in the sea (i.e., located only in open sea).
Includes international pipelines if their total length is 50 km and more – even if section of a pipeline in reporting country is shorter than 50 km. Pipelines consisting of two (or more) parallel pipelines are registered twice (or several times).
Data collection and statistical processing
Survey method and data source
Data are obtained in a full-scope survey. Data source are CSB statistical report forms:
- annual report form 1-railway "Survey on railway transport";
- annual report form 1-gas "Survey on the use of natural gas";
- monthly report form 2-transport by pipelines "Survey on transportation of oil and oil products";
- annual report form 1-electrified transport "Survey on the activity of electrified transport";
- annual report form 1-road "Survey on roads".
Data on lenght of transport roads are compiled from:
- enterprises that carry out passenger transportation with electrified city transport;
- holder of a railway infrastructure;
- enterprises carrying out transportation of gas, oil and oil products by pipelines;
- Road register of JSC "Latvian State Roads".
Data are collected and published in accordance with Classification of Administrative Territories and Territorial Units of the Republic of Latvia (CATTU).