Activities of hotels and other accommodation establishments
Data on activities of hotels and other accommodation establishments are used to obtain the following information: number of visitors and visitor nights, occupancy of rooms and beds, visitors in breakdown by country.
Concepts and definitions
Building, group of buildings or facilitated area (territory), where merchant or performer of economic activity provides overnight accommodation and service for tourists. Accommodation establishments are broken down into groups according to Statistical Classification of Economic Activities NACE Rev. 2:
- Hotels and similar establishments (NACE 55.1) - includes hotels, motels, rehabilitation centres, spa hotels and guesthouses (with daily cleaning);
- Guesthouses and other short-stay accommodation (NACE 55.2) - includes holiday/guesthouses, guest apartments, youth hostels - hostels, tourism and holiday complexes/centres;
- Camping grounds, recreational vehicle parks and trailer parks (NACE 55.3) - includes campsites, trailer parks, rest places with overnight stays (for hunting, fishing, etc.).
Indicator of hotel services level determined through hotel certification. Category of the hotel is determined considering type, comfort level, range and level of services available, facilities, location, etc. of the hotel. Hotel category criteria are determined according to state standard or classification system, and they are estimated by national tourism organization or hotel association.
In Latvia there are five categories granted to hotels — each of them equals to a certain number of stars, and conformity assessment and certification of hotels is carried out by SIA "Viesnīcu un restorānu centrs".
Number of tourists served
Number of residents and non-residents served.
Each night a guest spends (sleeps or stays) or is registered (physical presence is not required) in a tourist accommodation establishment.
EU-15 – 15 member states of European Union: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, the United Kingdom.
EU-25 – EU-15 and Czech Republic, Cyprus, Estonia, Hungary, Malta, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia after EU enlargement on 1 May 2004.
EU-27 – EU-25 and Romania and Bulgaria after EU enlargement on 1 January 2007.
EU-28 – EU-27 and Croatia after enlargement of the EU on 1 July 2013.
Data collection and statistical processing
Survey method and data source
Data are obtained conducting a full-scope survey and data are collected from the CSB statistical report form 1-accommodation establishments "Activity of hotels and other accommodation establishments". The survey data cover the whole country. Data are available in breakdown by cities and counties.
Economically active individual merchants and associations whose main activity sector according to NACE Rev. 2 is 5510, 5520, 5530, and other merchants and private persons who provide accommodation services. Starting with 2017, data are compiled on all accommodation establishments without setting a threshold for the number of beds available at the accommodation establishment.
Data are collected and published using:
- Classification of Administrative Territories and Territorial Units of the Republic of Latvia (CATTU);
- Hotel categories (stars), accommodation types;
- Statistical Classification of Economic Activities in the European Community (NACE Rev. 2);
- Eurostat standard code list and their explanation.
The data published are final and not revised.