Production, imports, exports and consumption of electricity
Data on production, imports, exports and consumption of electricity are compiled and calculated to estimate the volume of electricity produced in, consumed in, imported in and exported from (million kilowatt hours) Latvia.
Terms and definitions
Kind of economic activity [energy]
Sphere of activity of the enterprise or individual that expresses itself in the produced goods or services.
The type is determined by Standard Classification of Economic Activities (NACE Rev. 1.1, starting from 2008 – NACE Rev. 2).
In 2008 the data were published according to both NACE Rev. 1.1 and NACE Rev. 2.
Exports of electricity
Quantity of electricity transported across the state border to the third countries and to the European Union (EU) Member States, whether customs clearance has taken place or not. This category includes also data on energy transported through the country (transit).
Data on 2006 are indicated without transit.
Imports of electricity
Quantity of electricity amounts transported across the state border from the third countries and from the European Union (EU) Member States, regardless customs declarations has taken place or not (commercial flows).
This category includes also data on energy transported trough the country (transit).
Till 2006 (including), data on transit were not included.
Losses of electricity
Final consumption [energy]
Consumption by industry, transport, households, agriculture, forestry, hunting, fishery, and other consumers (NACE Rev. 2 divisions 33, 36–39, 45–47, 52–96, 99).
Transformation sector [electricity]
Electricity produced in CHP plants and in power plants, using natural gas, solid fuel, liquefied fuel, biogas and fuel wood as fuel.
Energy resources consumed by industrial sectors to ensure the work in the main kind of activity (including construction).
Transport sector [electricity]
Consumption of energy resources by road transport, air transport, rail transport, water transport (inland waters and coastal shipping) regardless the kind of economic activity. Also the fuel consumed by households for the transport vehicles is included in transport sector.
Production of electricity
Gross electricity production
Net electricity production
Combined Heat and Power plant (CHP)
Power plant consisting of cogeneration devices and heat peak load boiler devices.
CHP plants are classified according to the purpose of production:
- public CHP plants main activity of which is production of electricity and heat (NACE Rev. 2 Division 35);
- autoproducer CHP plants that are generating electricity and heat for their own technological use and selling part of the produced heat (NACE Rev. 2, except NACE Rev. 2 Division 35).
Available for the internal market [electricity]
Amounts of electricity to be sold supplied for the domestic market, including all losses emerging during transportation and distribution.
Available for the internal market is calculated: net production + imports – exports.
Survey method and data source
Monthly data are surveyed and compiled in compliance with the methodology Electricity Monthly Questionnaire and Energy Statistics Manual of Eurostat. Data are acquired from several data sources:
- Monthly statistical report form 2-cogeneration "Report on the activities of CHP";
- Monthly statistical report form 2-energy sector "Report on electricity production, imports and exports".
Annual data are collected and compiled in accordance with Eurostat methodology Electricity and Heat Annual Questionnaire. Data are collected from several sources:
- Annual statistical report form 1-energy "Report on activities of public power plants";
- Annual statistical report form 2-EK "Report on purchase and use of energy resources";
- Annual statistical report form 1-energy "Report on production of heat and electricity" with annex;
- Data of the Public Utilities Commission on business registers used to arrange the list of respondents submitting reports on production, management and distribution of electricity.
For the monthly data economically active enterprises engaged in production, imports, exports of the electricity are surveyed.
For the annual data all economically active enterprises engaged in the production, imports, exports, consumption and sale of energy resources are included in target population.
Data on electricity production, imports, exports and consumption are compiled and calculated in compliance with:
- EU Combined Nomenclature (annual data);
- Statistical Classification of Economic Activities (NACE Rev. 2) (annual and monthly data).
Contact person on methodology
Environment and Energy Statistics Section