Economically active enterprises
Data on economically active enterprises are used to obtain information on enterprises which manufactured products, provided services, employed persons and number of enterprises per 1 000 inhabitants.
Concepts and definitions
Enterprise [Statistical business register]
The enterprise is the combination of legal units that is an organizational unit producing goods or services, which benefits from certain degree of autonomy in decision making.
An enterprise carries out one or more activities at one or more locations.
An enterprise may be sole unit or combination of legal units.
Economically active enterprise
Enterprise, who in the reference period manufactured products, provided services or employed persons regardless whether they were active during the whole reporting period or only during a part of it.
Any entity engaged in economic activity may be considered as an legal unit irrespective of its legal form.
Statistical unit [Statistical business register]
There are the following statistical units:
- institutional unit;
- group of enterprises;
- kind of activity unit;
- local kind of activity unit.
Legal and natural persons who sell mainly their own produce or only own-produced goods or services at a specified price, which is economically meaningful.
This sector classifies the following: self-employed natural persons, individual enterprises, peasant and fishermen’s farms, individual merchants and commercial companies, exclude commercial companies controlled and financed by general government, boards of special economic zones, ports and freeports included in public bodies, associations, funds and foundations serving households.
Legal persons providing services free of charge or at a price, which is not economically meaningful.
This sector classifies commercial companies controlled and financed by general government, boards of special economic zones, ports and freeports included in public bodies, central and local government institutions, associations, funds and foundations serving households.
Data collection and statistical processing
Survey method and data source
Data on economically active enterprises are obtained from several data sources:
- Statistical surveys and questionnaires carried out by the CSB;
- Information from State Revenue Service of the Republic of Latvia from:
- Taxpayer registry;
- Enterprise reports submitted (Annual enterprise report: balance-asset, Annual enterprise report: profit or loss calculation, Income from economic activity – form D3, Consolidated enterprise annual report, Annual report of associations, foundations and trade unions, Annual report of political organizations, Declaration on value added tax);
- Data from enterprises registered in the Register of Enterprises of the Republic of Latvia.
Data are collected from all economically active enterprises that in the reference period were engaged in economic activity, which had an impact on the Gross National Product.
Data on economically active enterprises are collected and published using following classifications:
- Statistical Classification of Economic Activities (NACE Rev. 2);
- Classification of Administrative Territories and Territorial Units (CATTU);
- Address classification;
- Institutional sector classification;
- International standard codes of countries and territories (ISO 3166).
Data published, if not specified as provisional, are final and are not revised, except situations when significant mistakes in enterprise reports are found.