Output of livestock products and livestock productivity
The data on livestock production are collected and compiled in line with the Regulation (EC) No 1165/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 19 November 2008 concerning livestock and meat statistics in Latvia, resulting in the production of statistics on output of livestock products – milk, meat, eggs, honey and wool.
The data on livestock productivity are estimated based on the information on the number of livestock and output of livestock products.
Terms and definitions
Chilled weight of slaughtered livestock or poultry after bleeding, skinning, removal of bowels and separation of head, legs, tail and genitals.
Kidneys and suet are included in slaughter weight.
Meat volume produced in slaughter houses
The total volume of meat (in slaughter weight) produced from livestock bred in Latvia in slaughter houses recognised by the Food and Veterinary Service.
Eggs produced from all varieties of poultry, including eggs used for poultry reproduction (incubation, etc.).
Average egg production per laying hen
The actual yield of cow and goat raw milk (thermally not processed) regardless the way it is used.
Average milk yield per dairy cow
Average wool fleece per sheep
Average annual number of dairy cows
Average annual number of laying hens
The total amount of honey produced regardless of the use thereof. Apiculture products are not included.
Technically and economically independent unit having common management producing agricultural products or preserving good agricultural and environmental conditions in the soil.
Holdings may produce also non-agricultural products and provide non-agricultural services.
Data collection and processing
Survey method and data source
The data source used for the statistics on output of livestock products is a sample survey that is conducted based on the CSB questionnaires 3-ls "Livestock Production".
Quarterly livestock production data are estimates based on the following data sources:
- CSB statistical questionnaires:
- 1-poultry "Report on poultry farming";
- 11-purchase "Report on Purchase and Slaughtering of Livestock".
- data of the Milk Producer Register managed by the Agricultural Data Centre;
- data of the Slaughterhouse Electronic Reporting System managed by the Agricultural Data Centre.
Statistics on meat produced in slaughter houses is acquired from the following data sources:
- data of the Slaughterhouse Electronic Reporting System managed by the Agricultural Data Centre;
- CSB statistical questionnaire 11-purchase "Report on Purchase and Slaughtering of Livestock".
Economically active agricultural holdings.
Sample for the survey 3-ls "Livestock Production" has been formed as stratified simple random sample. Holdings are stratified basing on their location (NUTS 3), type of farming and economic size.
Extrapolation of the data on the surveyed holdings to all agricultural holdings is based on the number of similar holdings represented by sampled holdings as well as actual response rate in each of the survey territories.
Data are collected in compliance with:
- Classification of Administrative Territories and Territorial Units of the Republic of Latvia (CATTU);
- Nomenclature of Territorial Units for Statistics (NUTS).