Mission and aims
The CSB is a direct administration body subordinated to the Ministry of Economics1, and acting as the main performer and coordinator of the official statistical work in the country. The CSB is responsible for organisation of the statistical work and authenticity of the data it has produced by summarising the information obtained from respondents.
The overall purpose (mission) of the Central Statistical Bureau is to provide data users with independtent high-quality official statistics for decision-making, research and discussions.
Aims and tasks
- Ensuring the transparency of statistical processes and improving the degree of understanding of the public regarding statistical data, principles of their obtainment and usage possibilities.
- Improving the possibilities of obtainment and usage of the required statistical data for all groups of information users: central government sector, entrepreneurs, academic and research staff, as well as other interested parties.
- Upgrading the process of statistical data collection with the goal to improve the quality of the information received and to reduce the load of respondents.
- Implementing the overall quality management system: identifying statistical and management processes and preparing their descriptions according to the requirements of the quality management system.
- Improving competitiveness on the labour market by ensuring growth of the motivation of employees and raising the overall competence and qualification of the employees.
- Strengthening the independence of the Central Statistical Bureau in the organisation and performance of statistical processes and data dissemination, as well as enhancing the image of the CSB as the provider of official statistics in Latvia.
- Becoming an active participant of the European Statistical System by fulfilling the requirements of the European Union, as well as by defending the national interests of Latvia in an active manner, taking under consideration the load of respondents, the needs of domestic data users, and the peculiarities of Latvia as a small country within the data dissemination process.
In order to ensure the credibility and quality of the statistics, CSB strives to comply with the European Statistics Code of Practice. The quality management system will be phased in over coming years. Observing the Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on European Statistics, including Article 12 about the quality of statistics, CSB prepares quality reports in selected statistical domains in accordance with the European Union requirements. More information on the quality in statistics you will find in the section Documents / Quality.
Read more about legislation in section Documents.
1 The Bureau is a direct administrative institution under the supervision of the Ministry of Economics.
This form of subordination does not affect functional independence of the Bureau. The Ministry of Economics is not entitled to give direct orders to the Bureau regarding statistical production. The following definition in State Administration Structure Law (Article 7) provides that:
Supervision means the rights of higher institutions or officials to examine the lawfulness of decisions taken by lower institutions or officials and to revoke unlawful decisions, as well as to issue an order to take a decision in case of unlawful failure to act.