Consumption of energy resources in Latvia in 2011
The Central Statistical Bureau of Latvia (CSB) has compiled provisional information on production, import, export and consumption of energy resources in the national economy of Latvia in 2011.
Consumption of energy resources in separate sectors of national economy, in terajoules
2011 as % of 2010
*Volume of energy resources for production of electricity and production of heat for sale.
In 2011 production of electricity reached 6093 Gigawatt hours (GWh), which is 8% less than last year. 50.5% of the total volume of electricity was produced from renewable energy resources (water, wind, biogas and biomass power plants).
The total consumption of energy in 2011 in Latvia comprised 7338 GWh, which is a decrease of 2% as compared to 2010. Consumption in industry grew by 5%, while consumption in households declined by 8.6% (data of the A/S Latvenergo). Net import of energy (difference between import and export) was 17% (12% in 2010).
The total consumption of natural gas in 2011 comprised 1604 million m3, which is a decrease of 11.9% as compared to the previous year. This decrease in the consumption of natural gas can be explained with smaller consumption in CHPs due to the relatively high temperatures in the fourth quarter of 2011, as well as with investments of heating companies in the use of renewable energy sources and partial substitution of fossil fuels with wood chips.
In 2011 the consumption of diesel oil grew only by 0.5%, whereas consumption of petrol has diminished by 11%. The total net import of energy resources in 2011 increased by 32%, of which net import of electricity - by 43% and net import of oil products - by 4%.
Electric capacity and electricity produced from renewable energy resources
Electric capacity (MW)
Production of electricity (GWh)
Electric capacity and electricity produced, total
hydro power plants
wind power stations
biomass power plants
biogas power plants
|Structure of oil product consumption, %|
|Structure of natural gas consumption by sector, %|
Prepared by Environment and Energy Statistics Section
Statistics by theme
- General Statistics
- Economy and Finances
- Population and Social Processes
- Industry, Construction, Housing, Trade and Services, Structural Business Statistics
- Transport and Tourism
- Foreign Trade
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing
- Environment and Energy
- Science and Technology
- Population Census
- Agricultural Census
- Statistical Data on EU Countries
- Statistics of the 1920s – 1930s