On construction and building permits granted in the 4th quarter of 2012

15.02.2013

Data of the Central Statistical Bureau show that, in comparison with 2011, construction output in 2012 has grown by 14.8%, according to calendar adjusted data at constant prices. Of which construction of buildings increased by 14.7% and of civil engineering structures – by 16.2%.

Rise in the construction output during the previous year was caused by the acquisition of EU funding in both construction and maintenance of streets and roads (26% of total construction) - increase of 25.9%, and construction of main pipelines, communication and power lines - growth of 12.9% (5% of total construction). As construction of both residential and non-residential buildings increased – by 17.9% and 24.8%, respectively, notable upward pressure on the construction output in 2012 was put by the construction of buildings (42% of total volume).

Construction production index
(2005 = 100)

Compared to the 3rd quarter of 2012, construction output in the 4th quarter of 2012 has risen by 3.8%, according to seasonally adjusted data at constant prices. Of which construction of buildings grew by 4.7% and construction of civil engineering structures – by 3.2%.

In comparison with the 4th quarter of 2011, construction output in the 4th quarter of 2012 increased by 9.3%, according to calendar adjusted data at constant prices. Of which construction of buildings - by 9.7% and of civil engineering structures – by 8.9%.

As compared to the corresponding period of the previous year, the most notable growth in construction and repairs was recorded in the construction harbours as well as construction of residential buildings – of 103.7% and 31.6%, respectively. Whereas the most significant reduction was observed in the construction of bridges and tunnels as well as construction of office buildings – of 27.6% and 24.7%, correspondingly.

Construction output and its changes

 

Total

(at current prices, mln LVL)

2012 as compared to 2011, %
(calendar adjusted data at constant prices)

4th quarter 2012 compared to

2012

4th quarter of  2012

 

3rd quarter of 2012, %
(seasonally adjusted data at constant prices)

4th quarter of 2011, %
(calendar adjusted data at constant prices)

Total

1064.9

349.6

14.8

3.8

9.3

    of which:

 

 

 

 

 

Residential buildings

80.8

30.9

17.9

17.4

31.6

Office buildings

30.3

7.7

24.8

-7.6

-24.7

Industrial buildings and warehouses

72.2

25.9

-2.7

11.0

7.9

School, university and research buildings

51.9

15.6

4.0

-2.1

-4.2

Hospital or institutional care buildings

32.6

9.7

13.5

12.0

31.4

Highways, streets, roads, airfield runways, railways

273.4

82.1

25.9

2.2

3.9

Bridges and tunnels

28.2

9.0

-42.9

29.0

-27.6

Harbours and dams

42.8

20.1

60.4

64.7

 2.0 times

Mainpipelines, communication and electricity lines

52.4

18.1

12.9

-6.2

-0.7

Local pipelines and cables

87.1

32.1

-17.9

28.5

-8.9

In 2012, 2072 building permits were granted for the construction, capital repairs, reconstruction and restoration of single-dwelling houses with total floor space 451.5 thousand m2 (in 2011 – 1849 permits and 423.8 thousand m2, respectively), whereas for the construction of new industrial buildings and warehouses with total floor space 696.3 thousand m2 441 permit was issued (in 2011 - 439 permits and 834.8 thousand m2 ).         

In the 4th quarter of 2012, 535 building permits were granted for the construction, capital repairs, reconstruction and restoration of single-dwelling houses with total floor space 130.0 thousand m2 (in 4th quarter of 2011 – 396 permits and 84.9 thousand m2, respectively), whereas for the construction of new industrial buildings and warehouses with total floor space 215.4 thousand m2 110 permits were issued (in the 4th quarter of 2011 - 199.5 thousand m2 and 132 permits).          

In 2012, 1317 building permits were granted for the construction of new single dwelling buildings with total floor space 293.8 thousand m2 (in 4th quarter of 2012 – 85.0 thousand m2 and 354 permits, respectively) and 246 permits were issued for the construction of new industrial buildings and warehouses with total floor space 256.8 thousand m2 (in 4th quarter of 2012 – 62 and 72.9 thousand m2, correspondingly).

 

More information on construction output indices and building permits granted for the construction of buildings is available in the CSB database: Construction.

 

Prepared by the Investment and Real Estate Statistics Section
Arvīds Uibo
Tel. 67366857