Age structure of the population of Latvia

17.07.2009

Even though in 2008 the largest birth number since 2000 (20248) was registered in Latvia (23948) it still lags from death indicator in the result of which the balance of natural increase is negative. In its turn, it causes unfavourable changes in the age structure of the population and, the same as in Europe, population aging process is also continuing in Latvia.

Since 2000 the number of children and teenagers (aged 0 - 14 years) has decreased by 117.8 thsd and the share in the total number of population has decreased from 18.0% in the beginning of 2000 to 13.7% in the beginning of 2009. However, along the birth increase, this drop slows down. If in 2000 the number of children and teenagers has decreased by 18.3 thsd, in 2008 it has reduced only by 2 thsd.

Since 2000 the number of population aged 15 – 64 years has dropped by 40.2 thsd or by 2.5%. However, the number of population aged over 65 years during this period has increased by 37.5 thsd, and its share in the total of population has grown from 14.8% to 17.3%.

Number of population in separate age groups in Latvia in 2000 - 2009
(at the beginning of the year)

Year

Age groups (years)

0 - 14

15 - 64

65 +

number

% of total

number

% of total

number

% of total

2000

428082

18.0

1600317

67.2

353316

14.8

2005

341415

14.8

1583843

68.7

381176

16.5

2006

328547

14.3

1580414

68.9

385629

16.8

2007

318463

14.0

1572881

68.9

389961

17.1

2008

312309

13.8

1567797

69.0

390788

17.2

2009

310311

13.7

1560129

69.0

390854

17.3


In the age group 0 – 14 years the number of males exceeds the number of females by 2.4%, in the age group 15 – 64 years prevalence of females is observed – by 3.4%, but in the age group over 65 years the number of females exceeds the number of males by 34.8%. Border at which the number of males exceeding the number of females starts to diminish has increased from 28 years in 2000 to 37 years in 2009.

Number of males and females in separate age groups in Latvia in 2000 - 2009
(thsd, at the beginning of the year)

Year

Age groups (years)

0 - 14

15 - 64

65 +

males

females

males

females

males

females

2000

219.0

209.1

765.3

835.0

112.6

240.7

2005

174.6

166.8

763.9

819.9

124.5

256.7

2006

168.1

160.5

763.3

817.1

125.9

259.7

2007

162.9

155.6

760.6

812.3

127.5

262.4

2008

159.7

152.6

759.4

808.4

127.8

263.0

2009

158.7

151.6

756.7

803.4

127.7

263.2


The burden of population of working age (indicator which is obtained by dividing the number of children and population of pension age with the number of population of working age) is reducing during the last years. Partially it can be explained with the increase of pension age.

Rate of children and teenagers in the demographic burden since 1993 is smaller than the rate of population of pension age because birth has reduced but death and migration of population of working age has increased. In the beginning of 2009 the number of population of pension age per 1,000 population of working age was 1.5 times higher than the number of children and teenagers. In 2000 this relation was 1.3 times.

The level of demographic burden in Latvia in 2000, 2005 and 2009
(at the beginning of the year, per 1,000 population of working age)


The increase of mean age of Latvian population confirms aging trend of population in our country. Age increase can be explained both with the low birth, and with the increase of life expectancy.

Average age of population in Latvia in 2000, 2005 and 2009 (at the beginning of the year)


Prepared by Population Statistics Section
Melita Dimza
Tel. 7366901