CABINET OF MINISTERS OF THE REPUBLIC OF LATVIA
Regulations No. 994
By-Law of the Central Statistical Bureau of Latvia
(prot. No.68 41.§)
Issued in conformity with the State Administration Structure Law, Section 16, part 1
I. General provisions
1. The Central Statistical Bureau of Latvia (hereinafter – Bureau) is a public direct administration institution under supervision of the Minister of Economics.
2. The main objective of the Bureau is to create and develop in Latvia a unified national statistical system on economic, demographic and social phenomena and processes as well as the environment considering internationally acknowledged principles.
II. Functions, tasks and rights of the Bureau
3. The Bureau performs functions provided by the Official Statistics Law.
4. In order to ensure the performance of functions the Bureau:
4.1. implements the State Programme of Statistical Information within its competence and the Bureau’s financial resources;
4.2. collects, processes and analyses statistical information on the national economy and processes taking place in the social and economic spheres that are obtained by conducting statistical surveys and censuses as well as by using data available in administrative registers and other information systems;
4.3. publishes and disseminates aggregated statistical data necessary for domestic and foreign data users;
4.4. maintains informative databases of statistical primary data;
4.5. within its competence provides with statistical information the Statistical Office of the European Union (Eurostat), the United Nations Statistics Division (UNSD) and other international organisations;
4.6. develops and maintains the unified classification system of economical information that is in compliance with international standards;
4.7. coordinates questions about the contents of information to be included in official statistical surveys and questionnaires worked out by public institutions;
4.8. works out proposals for coordination of indicators to be included in administrative registers and other information systems;
4.9. improves statistical methodology and ensures international comparability of statistical information by using data collection and generalisation methods that are internationally acknowledged and scientifically substantiated and in line with the approved practice;
4.10. upon agreement with public administration institutions, legal or physical persons performs in addition statistical works that are not included in the State Programme of Statistical Information;
4.11. within its competence and financial resources works out and uses new technological solutions in the collection, processing and dissemination of statistical data;
4.12. improves the quality of statistical services, advises providers and users of statistical information on the statistical system and methodology established in the country;
4.13. according to the Administrative Penal Code of Latvia initiates and considers cases of administrative offence on disregarding the established order of preparing of statistical information, on non-submission of statistical information in due time or refusal to submit it;
4.14. participates in working out of draft legal acts of the European Union in the field of statistics;
4.15. submits proposals regarding the production of draft legal acts and gives opinion on draft legal acts and policy planning documents prepared by other institutions;
4.16. performs scientific research in the field of statistics implementing national and international projects and programmes;
4.17. conducts conjuncture surveys (including regular data collection, forming and analysis of databases) in the fields of industry, construction, investment, retail trade, service and other fields and informs about the survey results government institutions and international organisations in line with the Joint Harmonised EU Programme of Business and Consumer Surveys;
4.18. (Excluded, Cabinet Regulations No.21 of 12.01.2010);
4.19. (Excluded, Cabinet Regulations No.21 of 12.01.2010);
4.20. performs other functions prescribed in normative acts in the field of statistics. (Amended, Cabinet Regulations No.770 of 13.11.2007 and Cabinet Regulations No.21 of 12.01.2010)
5. The Bureau has the following rights:
5.1. within its competence to collaborate with public institutions and private persons;
5.2. within its competence to exchange information and share experience with institutions of other countries and international organisations;
5.3. to express standpoint and suggestions on draft documents in the field of statistics worked out by the European Union and other international institutions, as well as to take part in working out of such documents;
5.4. within its competence to take part in the implementation of international projects;
5.5. according to the order established by normative acts regulating the action of state administration to require and get free information from public institutions and private persons necessary for the accomplishment of Bureau’s tasks;
5.6. in the name of the state to execute private legal transactions that are necessary to secure the Bureau’s activity;
5.7. to provide paid services in accordance with the order established by normative acts regarding supply of paid services;
5.8. to establish working groups that would solve questions within the Bureau’s competence; and to invite officials from public institutions and private persons to take part in it;
5.9. according to the Administrative Penal Code of Latvia to inflict an administrative penalty for undue submission, incomplete submission or avoidance to submit statistical questionnaires or statistical information;
5.10. to get donations, grants or foreign technical assistance. (Amended, Cabinet Regulations No.770 of 13.11.2007 and Cabinet Regulations No.21 of 12.01.2010).
III. The Structure of the Bureau
6. The President is at the head of the Bureau. The President of the Bureau is appointed and dismissed by the Minister of Economics when the Cabinet of Ministers has confirmed its candidature.
7. The President of the Bureau performs functions of the manager of a public direct administration body prescribed by the State Administration Structure Law and other legal acts.
8. The President of the Bureau forms the internal organisational structure of the Bureau.
IV. Ensuring of legality of the Bureau’s operation and submission of the report
9. The President of the Bureau ensures legality of the Bureau’s operation. The President of the Bureau is responsible for the creation and action of a system of internal audit and control of the Bureau’s decisions.
10. The President of the Bureau takes a decision about administrative documents issued by the Bureau’s official or actual conduct of an official or an employee that a private person objects against.
11. Administrative acts issued by the President of the Bureau and his actual conduct can be objected to the Ministry of Economics in the order prescribed by normative acts regulating the administrative process. The decision of the Ministry of Economics can be appealed in the court.
12. Once a year the Bureau submits to the Ministry of Economics a report on the implementation of the Bureau’s functions and application of the government budgetary funds.
Prime Minister I. Emsis
Minister of Economics J. Lujāns